There have recently been numerous reports in the press regarding a rise in uninsured drivers on UK roads. In July 2016, the Motor Insurers’ Bureau (MIB) reported that over 500,000 uninsured cars had been seized in the previous 4 years. It was also estimated that a million drivers continued to drive without insurance in the UK.


Being involved in a Road Traffic Accident is a traumatic experience. If you have suffered personal injury as a result of the accident you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries and any losses you have experienced as a result of the accident. Whether you’ve been involved in a car accident, a motorcycle accident or any other accident whilst on the road, Smith Jones Solicitors are one of the leading experts in the UK for winning compensation when dealing with uninsured drivers.


Smith Jones Solicitors will help you make a Claim

If you are unfortunate enough to be involved in a road accident, you should always ask for details of the other driver. You will also need to make a note of their registration number, make and model of the car they are driving and report the incident to the police as soon as possible. Medical attention should also be sought straight away for any injuries you may have suffered.


To find that the driver of the other vehicle is uninsured can be distressing. It may leave you unsure about how to proceed and what rights you have to redress. If your accident involves a cab driver, you may want to go to the taxi accidents claims page.


Our specialist team of road traffic accident solicitors are here to help. When you contact us, we will be pleased to provide a free initial consultation to help you work out what to do next and whether you are entitled to pursue a claim.



FAQ About Uninsured Driver Claims


How To Claim against An Uninsured Driver?

The Motor Insurer’s Bureau (MIB) is in place to help provide a route to compensation for those injured in a road accident involving an uninsured or untraceable driver. If a driver is uninsured or leaves the scene of an accident without giving their details, the MIB may be the only option available to you to pursue a claim for compensation.


It is important to note that you can pursue a claim through the MIB without legal representation. However, we do provide a service whereby you can instruct our team to pursue the claim on your behalf if you wish.


This service is effectively the same service we provide to claimants of insured drivers – the only real difference is the party responsible for paying the compensation.  A solicitor can take the burden of compiling the relevant information and evidence, and can ensure that all the required components are in place to give your claim the best possible chance of success.


You will be required to provide an independent medical report. These can be expensive, and you will be required to pay for it. However, if a solicitor is involved, they will generally fund all the costs of your claim until your compensation has been paid including the required medical report. You will most likely be offered representation on a no win no fee basis which means there is no risk to you in pursuing a claim.

*Terms and conditions apply.


Points to note:

  • You may not be aware of all the losses you are entitled to claim for, resulting in your claim being under-settled. A solicitor can guide you through the additional losses which you may have suffered to ensure you are properly compensated for the accident
  • A solicitor can liaise with the medical expert instructed regarding any physiotherapy/rehabilitation they may suggest to aid your recovery. This means that while a solicitor is taking care of your claim, you can concentrate on your treatment. The cost of this can be included in your claim
  • A solicitor can take on the burden of chasing each stage of the process on your behalf, moving the claim forward as quickly as possible



Untraced Driver Claims

The process for pursuing a claim against an untraced driver differs to a claim against an uninsured driver.  Untraced driver claims are commonly associated with hit and run road traffic accidents and must be reported to the police within 14 days where an injury claim is to be pursued. Our team are experienced in representing clients in these types of claims via the Motor Insurer’s Bureau and we recommend you seek advice in relation to any possible claim as soon as possible.


If you choose to instruct a solicitor in an untraced driver claim, the MIB would arrange the medical report in this type of claim. This means our role would be to guide you through the process, examine all the evidence that has been compiled and raise the appropriate questions to ensure you stand the fairest chance of success in your claim.


Unfortunately, these claims can take longer than a claim against an insured driver due to the fact there is no court process to be followed. As with uninsured driver claims, a solicitor can chase the MIB on your behalf to try and move the process along as quickly as possible.



How Much Compensation Am I Entitled To?

The compensation awarded in uninsured driver cases is calculated using the same ‘tariff’ as a road traffic accident being pursued against an insured driver. If you wish, you can use our handy claims calculator to see how much compensation you could be entitled to claim for your injuries.


In addition to compensation for your injuries (pain and suffering), in an uninsured driver claim, you are able to claim for any losses you have suffered as a result of the accident. These may include travel expenses, prescription costs, damage to your property and loss of earnings if you were unable to work for any period following the accident.


The compensation awarded in untraced driver claims through the MIB is slightly different to those against uninsured drivers. Whilst you will still receive a sum for your injuries and loss of earnings if successful, you will not be able to claim for additional expenses such as property damage as a result of the accident.


If you would like to know more about the service we provide in relation to uninsured or untraced driver claims, you can call our friendly team on freephone 0800 195 9590. Alternatively, submit your details online here and a member of our team will call you back.


As with most claims for personal injury, your claim to the MIB must be made within 3 years from the date of the accident. We recommend you start your claim as soon as possible to avoid details being lost or forgotten and to ensure your claim is concluded as efficiently as possible.