Specialist No Win, No Fee Solicitors

Helping People for over 30 Years

We’re Rated ‘Excellent’ on Trustpilot

We Recover your Loss of Earnings

Food Poisoning Claims

Restaurants, grocery stores and food suppliers all have a duty to meet the legal health and hygiene standards put in place to protect people from becoming ill. If they fail to meet these standards, people who eat the food could become ill and are thus entitled to make a claim for compensation.


There is no financial risk to you in pursuing a 'no win no fee' claim with Smith Jones.

Have Any Questions? We're available 24/7
Speak To Our Experts On Freephone

Making a Food Poisoning Claim for Compensation

If you have suffered food poisoning as a direct result of eating food that you yourself didn’t prepare, then it’s likely that our personal injury lawyers will be able to help you make a personal injury compensation claim. Our illness team have a long and successful track record of successfully claiming against those who didn’t meet adequate food standards and you became ill as a result.


Start your Food Poisoning Claim

We can also help large group action food poisoning compensation claims if you and a party fell ill – even if the food poisoning occurred while you were abroad. To get started with your no win no fee claim, please fill in our contact form to the right or call us 24/7 on 0800 195 95 90Our solicitors will be pleased to help you.

Smith Jones Solicitors Professional Accreditations

Since 1988

Your Winning 'No Win No Fee' Solicitors

Our legal team specialises in dealing with accident and personal injury claims only. We have been providing legal services in the UK since 1988 and are accredited through the Association of Personal Injury Lawyers, as well as The Law Society and, are regulated and authorised by the SRA.

Food Poisoning Claims – More Info

Types Poisoning & Their Symptoms



This is an illness from a parasite which causes severe diarrhoea known as cryptosporidiosis. There are different species of this parasite, some of which are known to only infect animals, and then are some that only infect humans. It is quite unpleasant to experience the effects of this illness and extreme cases can lead to severe dehydration.



E. coli is a serious infection that can cause fever, severe vomiting, diarrhoea, blood in stools and stomach cramping. It is found in the faeces and stomachs of many species of animal, especially farm animals such as sheep and cattle. It can be contracted by eating foods which have been infected, including undercooked meats, raw vegetables (especially leafy ones) and by drinking raw milk. It can also be picked up at campsites and places such as petting zoos.



The illness known as Giardiasis is caused by a small parasite. The most likely cause of infection is catching it from another human who is suffering from the disease and has not followed proper food hygiene when preparing food. The symptoms of this disease aren’t really evident right away, but in some parts of the world this disease is rampant.


Rotavirus & Norovirus

Rotavirus is a highly contagious infection which is often spread in early spring or in the winter. This infection spreads fastest in places where children congregate in large numbers, especially in playschools, daycares and in school. It can also be spread if food is prepared by someone who has not thoroughly washed their hands.

Norovirus is the most common stomach bug in the United Kingdom. It causes unpleasant side effects such as vomiting excessively and diarrhoea. This bug is normally transmitted in the winter, but it can take hold throughout the year.



Salmonella is caused most often by the consumption of food that has been contaminated. It is a type of bacteria that lives in the stomachs of most farm animals, affecting products such as eggs, milk, meat and poultry. When food is not heated or cooked properly, the bacteria may still be present and cause stomach upsets in people who consume the food. Other types of foods such as shellfish, vegetables and fruit can also have salmonella, however, this is through direct contact with sewage or manure present in the soil.



An infectious disease named Shigellosis is caused by a bacteria and can cause severe stomach cramping, diahorrea and a fever. Symptoms don’t usually start until one or two days after the consumption of the infected food, and it normally can be resolved within a week. Some people may not experience a great deal of symptoms, but can still pass the infection to others. Washing your hands with warm water and soap is imperative to stopping the spread of Shigellosis.


Fortunately, in the vast majority of cases, food poisoning isn’t serious and won’t need any type of treatment, although most people experience unpleasant symptoms, such as nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea and stomach pain. In more severe cases, other symptoms such as a fever, aching muscles and even chills are quite common although these typically pass within a couple of days and without the need for any medication.


If you think you’ve suffered from any type of food poisoning, then it’s important to prevent dehydration by drinking plenty of water – even if they’re only very small sips. However, for more vulnerable patients (such as infants, those with diabetes or the elderly) then it’s certainly advisable to seek medical advice and also ask the local pharmacist about the availability of oral rehydration solutions, which can certainly go a long way to assist the body in getting itself back to normal.


If symptoms are particularly severe – such as confusion, a rapid heartbeat, sunken eyes or passing either little or no urine, then it’s advisable to seek urgent medical attention so that antibiotics can be prescribed if considered necessary.



How To Make A Food Poisoning Claim

If you believe that you’ve been a victim of food poisoning at home or abroad, then you should think about seeking a personal injury solicitor to make a claim. The illness may have caused you both physical and emotional harm and could have kept you away from work and earning money. If you feel that you can pinpoint the food item or location you obtained the food poisoning from, you need to act fast so that the establishment can be investigated as soon as possible.


Our expert team of solicitors will walk you through the whole process from start to finish, but it’s imperative you get the ball rolling sooner rather than later. We can help you to secure a financial payment from the offending supplier or retailer to compensate for your undesired illness.



Holiday Food Poisoning Claims

Under ‘The Package Travel, Package Holidays and Package Tours Regulations 1992’ our team can help holidaymakers recover compensation for food poisoning caused by a hotel’s poor attention to hygiene. If you booked a package holiday or all-inclusive holiday through a UK tour operator, it is highly likely that your trip will be covered by the regulations, but we will also need to consider other factors including:


  • Whether your holiday was booked as a package?
  • Was your holiday booked on an all-inclusive basis?
  • Was your holiday in the last 2 years?


If more than one member of your family or group was ill on holiday, including children travelling with you, we could consider the merits of all of your claims. If any of the children are under the age of 18, we will need to appoint an adult to run the claim on their behalf (this is known as a litigation friend). If other adults in your party were ill, we would need to speak to them directly.


Tip: an easy way to tell if your holiday was a package is to check your ATOL certificate. If the certificate states ‘Package Sale’, we should be able to help claim compensation for you. As every case is different, we recommend you give our friendly team at Smith Jones Solicitors call on 0800 195 9590 to find out if you could make a claim. Alternatively, you can submit your details online, and a member of our team will call you back.



Child Food Poisoning Abroad

If more than one member of your family or group was ill on holiday, including children travelling with you, we could consider the merits of all of your claims. If any of the children are under the age of 18, we will need to appoint an adult to run the claim on their behalf (this is known as a litigation friend). If other adults in your party were ill, we would need to speak to them directly.