Six-year-old girl under water for two minutes after hair gets caught in swimming pool filtration system.

Swimming pool filters are necessary to ensure cleanliness and maintain hygiene in public swimming pools but they can also pose an inconspicuous threat, especially to children.


It was reported in the news this week, that Darcey Morgan, a girl of only 6 years old, was enjoying a family holiday to Lanzarote when her hair became caught in the hotel’s swimming pool filter, keeping her under water for two minutes and causing her to almost drown. The story was published by a number of media outlets and her mother told the Independent, “Darcey was unconscious and had to be given CPR at the poolside.” “Her oxygen levels were low and she has lots of fluid on her right lung.”[1] Darcey was taken directly to hospital, and luckily, was out of hospital the following morning.


Incidents like this can be very traumatic and in this instance the family are still struggling to come to terms with it all, feeling extremely lucky that their little girl is still here and especially grateful to those who helped to save their daughter. The incident was described by the mother as the worst day of their lives.


Whilst children are especially vulnerable to this type of incident, adults too could be in danger if a limb, long hair or loose clothing was to become caught in a pools filtration system. In addition to the physical threat these incidents pose, the potential psychological impact can be enormous and potentially overlooked.


If you or anyone you know has fallen victim to a similar incident, then Smith Jones may be able to help recover compensation for any injuries suffered. To talk to an expert member of our friendly personal injury team you can call 0800 195 95 90.